Monday, April 17, 2006

All Signs Say: Ride!

I went to work today on my own. The last time I posted about going to work and traveling about, it was in the company of my guy who trailed or lead me but was there to support and encourage. But this morning, the sun shone brightly, birds were singing and playing in the bird bath, that cats didn't barf on the floor (at least that I've found) and my car has a pancake flat tire so fate seemed to say with all these positive signs "go ride!". So I did. Handled the traffic, the road and the few minor mishaps just fine. (Another milestone for me)

My minor mishaps and solutions

A) My left mirror wobbling uncontrollably. Relied on my right and head turning. Waited till a long stop light to tighten it.

B) Missed a turn cause of some big slow moving truck. Improvised stopped and refueled at a gas station and then turned around and kept on.

C) Got to a stoplight where I needed to make a left hand turn but the light didn't change because it didn't sense me and when I tried to accelerate I kept cutting out. Realized I was (in my excitement of riding fairly well till that point) still in a higher gear once I downshifted - no problem moved back to first no issue moving. Left the turn lane to go straight and U-turn at next light with cars that help trigger senses. Easy common sense fixes if embarrassing to make. But I'm still learning.

The wind chill has it at about 67F today, so for me my knees, outer thighs and fingers were icy but the ride itself, the knowledge I'm on my own and that I'm thinking and doing... was exhilarating. I LOVED it. My bike true to the descriptions pushed itself to 65 without much whining and I think I could get to 75 without too much issue too.

And then....I get to work and find due to technical difficulties I have to turn around and work from home.

So a ride back without the traffic or stress. Taking a scenic detour, I ride by fields, cows and hills. The scent of a gardening nursery with the blooms of spring is heady in my helmet, at least until the scent of hay and farm animals chases them away. A blue sky with some silvery white clouds stretches out on the horizon before me. I ride on, and I'm grinning ear to ear with the movements and vibrations of my bike down the road. This grin continues as I turn my way back toward suburbia and home.

I am so deliriously happy!

No comments: