Saturday, April 15, 2006

Yep...I'm a rider

Today I rode with my guy and we:

A) Went to DMV where I got my motorcycle license officially

B) Rode to get brake light repaired and chain adjusted across town at the service center. Across town! (milestone) My whole bike rides and shifts better now.

C) Rode for the first time in the rain

D) Stopped for a great brunch during the worst of the rain at one of my favorite little places to eat (across time the other way).
E) Went to the opening day of an all female motorcycling gear clothing shop. Was not bad if not heavily sport bike eccentric. lovely clothes but hard for the ego. I am not petite and most of the clothes are made for size 4 and 115 pounds. Hurt the ego a bit but...I can do things about that, can't I? Does anyone else run into this sort of trouble?

F) As I was waiting to turn into next destination. A man on a cruiser with a woman as pillion went by. I waved, he waved back then did a triple take and grinned really wide and waved. I laughed because I think I surprised him by being female. At least, I hope it was that reason and not cause of something embarrasing... ;)

G) Stopped at a very cool clothing store and met a woman who is going to do a Harley-Davidson sponsored ride from here in California to New York with 3 other women to raise money for breast cancer. She was pleased when I recognized her from her website and we (she had a friend who rode too) chatted up quite a bit. They gave me a lot of encouragement. Also ordered some cool riding over pants with armor protection to wear - go me!

If you want to support or find out more check out this site: Divas For A Cure. They just worked out a deal with Harely-Davidson that will allow them to go to various dealerships across the country while they ride to hold rallies and raise awareness. Pretty cool, eh?

E) Had some hot cider to warm up and watched little finches play while my guy and I talked over the finer points of our day.

F) Rode home. Cold, cold, cold air - but got home well and safely. Took hot shower poured myself a glass of wine...and here we are :).


Other points:

The weather has been crap for riding this year. Rain, rain, rain! Today was scattered showers but I'm glad we dared and rode despite the gloom. And there were fleeting patches of sun. Normally, with all the grey clouds I would have just said forget it, but I really did want to ride. And the rain (mostly a mist) was actually a good experience to have with someone else there to remind me of how riding in the rain differs from riding in the sun and what techniques to use to stay safe.

This past week has provided me with more opportunities to ride since I first passed the course back in February. I rode to work the other day and they were shocked. I love to amaze others at times, but amazing myself is the best.

My guy and I are still trying to work the riding together synergy out. He wants to "go" on the bike. I want to ride and get comfy. Consequently, I let him lead since he was zooming anyway. But he stayed in sight and would pull over and wait for me. By his need to go and pushing me a bit, it forces me to adapt faster. This is not a bad thing. And in the end if I say no or stop he listened. We had fun together.

I really do love riding and my bike...but next year I'll want something bigger I know. Something that will move and that I can really relax on...but that's then this is now.

It's been a good day.. :)

No comments: