Friday, April 28, 2006

Things I Learned About Riding This Week...

* It is a good idea to have emergency "gas cash" hidden away in your tank bag in case you forget to put your wallet or your debit card in it.

* Riding in very warm weather in leather requires contant motion and venting.

* Venting is your friend

* The road changes day to day even ones you know well, but especially so when construction crews show up.

* Boys like girls on motorbikes

* Other girls are curious about girls on bikes

* Do not underestimate the power of the reserve tank

* Adjust your speed before the curve, accelerate at apex

* You can "cheat" and use rear break in curve, to have more control of bike

* The other night I only had a few hours of sleep (and I was suffering unknowingly from a major caffeine hangover from a week of pounding redbulls for breakfast. I don't drink coffee or a lot of caffeine so....imagine if you will someone stabbing needles *behind* your eyes to a crazy constant beat and you have a taste of my pain. Moral of this ramble, read the label before you drink it!)

Anyway...I realized I was bone tired. So despite the sun, the lovely day the desire to ride and the view of it seemed hundreds of motorcyclists riding, I drove my car. And in the end, I was happy with the choice cause as tired if I was I don't think my response time was great and I was not alert. I'm pleased that I seem to have enough sense not to let my enthusiasm kill me. :)

* People keeping thinking my little 250 is a 500. I'm pleased and I already feel the pangs of wanting a bigger bike, if not a bigger gas tank good mileage but I can't go long distances on this bike without a lot of stops. Butconsidering where I started, from no experience biased against motorcyling and no confidence, I think while I've made huge progress I definitely need more time and practice on the 250. But I'm dreaming of a biggr bike, cushier seat, saddle or bac bag and a larger gas tank. I can dream, dammit.

I'm still not sure if I'll keep with cruiser or move to sportbike but so far, I lean toward cruiser...we'll see I need to test ride and gain more experience.

No comments: